What is MultiFab?
MultiFab is an open platform funded by FEDER and Region Occitanie. It first of all promotes the development, transfer and dissemination of additive manufacturing technologies project to both academic and industrial partners. MultiFAb aims at developing cutting edge 3D printing and bioprinting technologies with a special focus on high resolution (<10µm) and multimaterials processes. The project also includes the synthesis, development of novel functional materials associated to the optimization of 3D manufacturing processes.
The technologies investigated in MultiFAB comprise stereolithography, inkjet printing, laser melting/sintering. Proprietary technologies based on high-resolution photopolymerization and microfluidics for bioprinting are also investigated. These technologies enable the fabrication of microdevices with a large range of resolution from the millimetric down to the nanometric scale. In addittion to that it uses a large variety of materials including polymers, composite materials, metals, liquid inks, biomolecules, etc.
Moreover, MultiFAB is managed both by LAAS CNRS and CIRIMAT laboratories in Toulouse. The project includes 8 industrial partners. There interests are biomedical devices, electronics, MEMs, microfluidics and aeronautics. Example of validated applications include to the fabrication of microfluidic devices for biomedical analysis, cell microenvironment and scaffolds for tissue engineering, electronic or optical devices for sensing applications.
Through its connection to LAAS platform MultiFab technologies are also part of Renatech network know how.
What is 3D printing?
3D printing is an additive manufacturing process that creates a physical object from a digital design. It has become a new paradigm for the manufacturing of integrated micro devices with applications ranging from aeronautics, automotive, electronics, optics, microfluidics, biological analysis to regenerative medicine. 3D printing enables both the rapid prototyping and manufacturing of complex and functional 3D architectures using a large range of materials from metals, alloys, polymers, composites, and biomaterials.
3D printing : a novel paradigm for microdevice manufacturing
Microfluidics / Microsystems
Lab on chips, Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, Optical devices, Mechanical parts…
Cell microenvironments for biology
3D bioprinting of bone phantoms, hydrogel scaffolds for intestinal epithelium models, …
Microelectronics / Energy
Super capacitors, energy harvesting, integrated circuits
Aeronautics / Space
Mechanical parts, surface treatments, metals and alloys development
L. Malaquin , P. Tailhades
J. Foncy, R. Courson, H. Granier, V. Baco, L. Bary, V. Conedera
(1) Accardo, A.; Courson, R.; Riesco, R; Raimbault, V.; Malaquin, L.; Direct laser fabrication of meso-scale 2D and 3D architectures with micrometric feature resolution. Addit. Manuf. 2018, 22, 440–446
(2) Accardo, A.; Blatché, M.-C.; Courson, R.; Loubinoux, I.; Vieu, C.; Malaquin, L. Two-Photon Lithography and Microscopy of D Hydrogel Scaffolds for Neuronal Cell Growth. Biomed. Phys. Eng. Express 2018, 4, 27009.
(3) Accardo, A.; Blatché, M.-C.; Courson, R.; Loubinoux, I.; Thibault, C.; Malaquin, L.; Vieu, C. Multiphoton Direct Laser Writing and 3D Imaging of Polymeric Freestanding Architectures for Cell Colonization. Small 2017, 1700621.
(4) Pereiro, I.; Tabnaoui, S.; Fermigier, M.; du Roure, O.; Descroix, S.; Viovy, J.-L.; Malaquin, L. Magnetic Fluidized Bed for Solid Phase Extraction in Microfluidic Systems. Lab Chip 2017, 17, 1603–1615.
(5) Juskova, P.; Ollitrault, A.; Serra, M.; Viovy, J.-L.; Malaquin, L. Resolution Improvement of 3D Stereo-Lithography through the Direct Laser Trajectory Programming: Application to Microfluidic Deterministic Lateral Displacement Device. Anal. Chim. Acta 2017.
(6) Mézière, F.; Juskova, P.; Woittequand, J.; Muller, M.; Bossy, E.; Boistel, R.; Malaquin, L.; Derode, A. Experimental Observation of Ultrasound Fast and Slow Waves through Three-Dimensional Printed Trabecular Bone Phantoms. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 2016, 139, EL13-EL18.
How to work with Renatech network? click here